Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Why are people so dumb when driving?

Driving as much as I do everyday I run into just about everything you can imagine and it raises the question as to why people are so stupid when they get behind the wheel of a car?

I by no means am a patient man or a perfect driver but there are just some common sense things that people seem to not know what to do.

How can you get a driver's license and keep it if you can follow the rules of the road? A yeild is a big triangle that is red and white, a merge is the big yellow triangle with the word MERGE on it. Is that really difficult to figure out?

When changing lanes is that hard to reach over and turn on the little turn signal switch? I seem to have no problems with it but it would seem most cars don't come with turn signals as no one else uses them. The other issue I have with this is when I do put on my turn signal and the guy that is about a car length behind in the lane I want to go to speeds up when he see's my turn signal. Are you really in that much og a hurry that one car length will cause you to be late?

Speed limit signs. They are there to let us know the max speed you are to go, however, it doesn't mean you should go 30 under that in the left lane (which in most civilized countries is considered the fast lane). I have no problem if people are driving the speed limit, I can slow down and drive that limit if I have to but come on do you really have to drive 20-30 below on a clear sunny day?

Finally, and I know I am guilty to a certain extent, why the hell do people feel they have to do everything while driving in there cars? I look at the odd email or will send a quick text (most of the time when stopped at a red light) but do you really need to smoke a cigarette, put on your lip gloss, drink your coffee, talk on your phone and read the newspaper all at the same time while driving 80km down a main road with lights always turning red?

People need to wake up a few minutes earlier in the morning so they can be fully awake and ready when they get in their cars, that way they can focus on driving and following the rules of the road. If everyone did that I am sure that instead of 20 - 30 accidents in every city every day there would only be the odd one. Do you think it will happen? Me either but hey we can always hope right?

No comments:

Post a Comment