Thursday, November 12, 2009

How do you remember?

So yesterday was November 11th which here in Canada is Remembrance Day and in the US is Veterans Day.  As with most people my kids had the day off from school and my day off from work was lost due to an emergency coming up.  Most of my clients worked in lieu of a day off at Christmas time.  So my question is how do you remember the sacrifices that the soldiers made and are still making if you are working and probably worked right through 11:11am with out ever realizing that you are to pause for a moment of silence.

I understand that in our society of mixed cultures that new immigrants may not realize the significance of November 11th nor do they probably care, but should that not be something taught to new immigrants to the country and taught to our children in school so that we don’t forget the sacrifices made to make our life better?

I know that one day is not really that big of a deal compared to what the soldiers went through but I think that is the least that our country can do for those that were killed, injured or simply fought so that we did and do not have to.

Today’s society has become forgetful and complacent with where we are in the world standing and it is a sad day that I think in the end will hurt us as a whole. With that I will leave you with a famous quote “Those who forget history are bound to repeat it”. Remember the past and if you see a soldier or veteran walking in the street don’t forget to stop and say thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment